Meeting about DebConf16 video team planning

Convened at 2016-05-20 18:03:28.985098 by tumbleweed in #debconf-video on oftc


[18:03:28] STARTED (tumbleweed)
[18:04:19] TOPIC: follow up on last week's actions (tumbleweed)
[18:11:52] TOPIC: Chosing a rental company (tumbleweed)
[18:15:46] AGREED: pollo to follow up with highvoltage on the aggressive audio quote: find out about extra days, and any other necessary details (tumbleweed)
[18:22:02] AGREED: pollo to check on video camera extra days with paddatrapper (tumbleweed)
[18:37:40] AGREED: pollo to check the exact camera model with highvoltage (we hope it isn't really NTSC) (tumbleweed)
[18:56:51] TOPIC: Sound (tumbleweed)
[19:26:15] TOPIC: shipping (tumbleweed)
[19:30:07] AGREED: pollo to get a quote for FedEx via DLange (tumbleweed)
[19:38:24] AGREED: paddatrapper to confirm camera availability from the 28th (tumbleweed)
[19:40:45] TOPIC: FAI (tumbleweed)
[19:49:23] AGREED: paddatrapper to correct june -> july (and get a camera for some testing before 1 july) (tumbleweed)
[19:49:35] TOPIC: next meeting (tumbleweed)
[19:54:51] AGREED: next meeting is 24th at 18:00 UTC (tumbleweed)
[19:55:00] ENDED (tumbleweed)


Raw Log

[18:03:28] <tumbleweed> tibid: start meeting about DebConf16 video team planning
[18:03:28] * tibid gets out his memo-pad and cracks his knuckles
[18:03:43] <tumbleweed> Agenda:
[18:03:47] <tumbleweed> tibid: minutes so far
[18:03:47] <tibid> Minutes available at
[18:04:19] <tumbleweed> tibid: topic follow up on last week's actions
[18:04:19] <tibid> Current Topic: follow up on last week's actions
[18:04:28] <pollo> paddatrapper: you here?
[18:04:29] <tumbleweed> paddatrapper: here?
[18:04:31] <pollo> :p
[18:04:36] <tumbleweed> ^5
[18:05:28] <pollo> anyway, the sdi cables are in the quotes already
[18:06:12] <pollo> as for I, I did review the different quotes we've had
[18:06:23] <pollo> i did a short summary here:
[18:06:42] * RattusRattus looks
[18:07:02] <olasd> UPS called me when I created a shipping account for Debian France; they don't do temporary imports
[18:07:06] <pollo> I couldn't get the FedEx rate to DLange :( I wrote to fedex SA for detailled quote and they told me they would not work with "cash clients"
[18:07:11] <tumbleweed> oh, I got another quote from paddatrapper today
[18:07:17] <tumbleweed> including radios
[18:07:20] <tumbleweed> let me stick it in git
[18:07:24] <pollo> radios?
[18:07:32] <tumbleweed> 2-way radios
[18:08:10] <wouter> what do we need radios for?
[18:08:23] <RattusRattus> we probably don't need 2 way radio hire (they cost about £40 a pair of good high power radios)
[18:08:40] <RattusRattus> and tbh we wont need them once we have set up
[18:08:44] <wouter> tumbleweed: or is this you-as-in-orga speaking, rather than you-as-in-video? ;-)
[18:08:44] <pollo> I received the BM capture cards earlier this week
[18:08:55] <pollo> RattusRattus: +1
[18:09:11] <pollo> that's it for my actions this week
[18:09:14] <RattusRattus> IF you feel the need for them I will bring some
[18:09:14] <tumbleweed> RattusRattus: network team usually wants them
[18:09:21] <tumbleweed> and video could use some too
[18:09:33] <RattusRattus> I can get my hands on at least 2
[18:09:33] <tumbleweed> this was dicsussed in the -team meeting
[18:09:45] <tumbleweed> updated quote pushed
[18:10:23] <tumbleweed> as to my action item, I tried to get hold of the right person in ICTS, but he brushed me off to the helpdesk
[18:10:25] <olasd> for import, at that point I believe we'll just have to pay and fill the SARS forms to get a refund for the ZA import; and the French customs forms for the FR reimport
[18:10:27] <tumbleweed> who ignored my email
[18:10:41] <tumbleweed> ginggs said he'll prod ICTS harder
[18:10:54] <RattusRattus> ok so we will use 3.5mm jack inputs on the lecturns then. no big
[18:10:57] <pollo> with a pointed stick, hopefully
[18:11:40] <tumbleweed> moving on
[18:11:52] <tumbleweed> tibid: topic Chosing a rental company
[18:11:52] <tibid> Current Topic: Chosing a rental company
[18:11:56] <olasd> I'll try to field other transporters next week when I get back home, giving myself a deadline friday
[18:11:56] <pollo> shit is coming fast
[18:12:14] <pollo> we should decide were we will rent things out quiclky
[18:12:35] <pollo> IMHO Aggressive audio seems the best quote so far
[18:12:51] <pollo> ^^
[18:13:03] <pollo> Solid is more complete, but soooo expensive
[18:13:04] <tumbleweed> in that case, highvoltage: around?
[18:13:53] <pollo> it seems email is the best way to prod highvoltage these days
[18:14:24] <pollo> the main thing with aggressive we need to confirm is how many days they charge for cameras
[18:14:46] <pollo> since we want to test the setup in advance and can't affort to pay cameras for 14days
[18:14:51] <tumbleweed> pollo: take an action to coordinate this with him?
[18:14:59] <pollo> take an action, i can
[18:15:44] <pollo> RattusRattus: can you check out Sony PD150 cameras?
[18:15:46] <tumbleweed> tibid: agreed pollo to follow up with highvoltage on the aggressive audio quote: find out about extra days, and any other necessary details
[18:15:46] <tibid> Agreed: pollo to follow up with highvoltage on the aggressive audio quote: find out about extra days, and any other necessary details
[18:16:17] <pollo> I don't think they do SDI, but we can use the Debian cameras for this and use the rental ones for dvswitch
[18:16:52] <tumbleweed> yeah, that's what I recall, too
[18:17:27] <RattusRattus> pollo: double checkking now
[18:17:27] <wouter> I think we should have a day or two, maybe three, to test the cameras
[18:17:54] <pollo> wouter: the aggressive audio is the only quote so far that gives us this luxury
[18:17:55] <wouter> these should preferably be business days, so that if something ends up problematic with them, we can call the rental company and get it sorted
[18:18:13] <wouter> pollo: those were meant as minimums, not maximums :)
[18:18:17] <tumbleweed> pollo: err, I swear paddatrapper's quotes had extra days too
[18:18:26] <pollo> tumbleweed: it has one
[18:18:26] <tumbleweed> they weren't in the quote, but they were agreed upon
[18:18:40] <wouter> mmmkay
[18:18:45] <pollo> it's written in bold "Cameras from 1-9 june)
[18:18:49] <wouter> perhaps I should look at the quotes before speaking about them
[18:18:52] <RattusRattus> issues - PD150 appears to be NTSC only not PAL DV
[18:19:15] <pollo> RattusRattus: and in monkey language this means?
[18:19:36] <RattusRattus> differant standard. we have been using PAL until now
[18:19:50] <tumbleweed> pollo:
[18:19:51] <tumbleweed> 08:46 < paddatrapper> tumbleweed: got it from 28th
[18:20:07] <pollo> tumbleweed: cameras too?
[18:20:16] <tumbleweed> pollo: not sure, check with him
[18:20:26] <pollo> Video Equipment (ONLY SUPPLIED FROM 1-9 JUNE
[18:20:50] <pollo> I think we should trust the legal contract they gave us first
[18:21:24] <tumbleweed> yeah, but don't write them off, based on that, without checking
[18:21:28] <pollo> I can #action on checking with paddatrapper on this
[18:21:51] <pollo> RattusRattus: does this means we can't use this cameras?
[18:22:02] <tumbleweed> tibid: agreed pollo to check on video camera extra days with paddatrapper
[18:22:02] <tibid> Agreed: pollo to check on video camera extra days with paddatrapper
[18:22:03] <RattusRattus> pollo: still reading manual
[18:22:16] <tumbleweed> yeah, I'd much prefer PAL
[18:22:34] <tumbleweed> NTSC would mean changing a bunch of config
[18:22:40] * RattusRattus is not sure we have done any testing with ntsc
[18:22:43] <wouter> iff we're going with NTSC (which I would prefer not to either), we *must* make sure the entire room is NTSC
[18:22:45] <tumbleweed> (and NTSC sucks)
[18:22:49] <pollo> I'll check with highvoltage if they have other cameras
[18:23:00] <wouter> otherwise dvswitch goes coocoo
[18:23:02] <tumbleweed> oh, our tiny DV cameras are PAL-only, I think
[18:23:09] <pollo> this seems problematic enough to be a deal breaker
[18:23:10] <wouter> it can deal with NTSC, but everything must be the same standard
[18:23:11] <tumbleweed> IIRC you have to reflash them to switch to NTSC
[18:23:23] <RattusRattus> tumbleweed: they are but then they are in rooms 1&2 hired kit in room 3
[18:23:34] <tumbleweed> RattusRattus: nope
[18:23:44] <RattusRattus> oh? I have missed somthing
[18:23:48] <tumbleweed> these hired cameras don't have SDI, so they can't be in room 3
[18:24:02] <tumbleweed> 18:16 < pollo> I don't think they do SDI, but we can use the Debian cameras for this and use the rental ones for dvswitch
[18:24:03] <RattusRattus> ack will update wiki
[18:24:10] <pollo> +1
[18:24:32] <RattusRattus> right now I am not sure they do DV out either....
[18:24:37] <tumbleweed> of course we haven't asked if there are any other camreas available, yet
[18:24:44] <tumbleweed> i.e. PAL + SDI :P
[18:25:01] <wouter> RattusRattus: if they don't do DV, I can bring more twinpacts and use those to do analog->DV conversion
[18:25:10] <wouter> but please oh god no keep the bad ideas away
[18:25:11] <tumbleweed> ewww
[18:25:12] <pollo> RattusRattus: are Sony HVR-Z5 HDV Camcorder any better?
[18:25:25] <pollo> this is the cameras from Solid quote
[18:25:28] <wouter> pollo: erm
[18:25:29] <RattusRattus> pollo: wait 5 please still on this camara!
[18:25:41] <wouter> I've head to deal with HDV-only cameras from sony for FOSDEM once
[18:25:55] <wouter> please make sure they do DV, not "just" HDV, before getting them
[18:26:14] <wouter> because the only thing that HDV and DV share is firewire and "dv" in the name
[18:26:23] <wouter> other than that, HDV is an MPEG4 transport stream
[18:26:40] <RattusRattus> wouter: ack
[18:33:02] <RattusRattus> ok looks like this will use either DVCAM or DV format (but think that applies to tape only)
[18:33:12] <RattusRattus> Sony PD15 Your camcorder is an NTSC system-based camcorder
[18:33:21] <wouter> DVCAM is a higher-quality version of DV
[18:33:27] <wouter> dvswitch can deal with that
[18:33:33] <RattusRattus> yep but still DV not DV HD
[18:33:35] <tumbleweed> higher-quality in timestamps only IIRC
[18:34:08] <RattusRattus> we may need to have a tape in the unit to get it to give us DV out
[18:34:13] <wouter> tumbleweed: no, it has better compression
[18:34:16] <RattusRattus> but hard to tell from the manual
[18:34:17] <wouter> "better" as in "less lossy"
[18:34:27] <tumbleweed> wouter: ah
[18:34:51] <RattusRattus> tps://
[18:35:06] <RattusRattus> so if we are happy with NTSC then yes the sony is OK
[18:35:40] * RattusRattus looks at HVR-Z5
[18:35:48] <tumbleweed> so, it seems teh same camera is available in both PAL and NTSC models
[18:35:57] <tumbleweed> ZA uses PAL, so I'm suprised they only have an NTSC camera
[18:36:15] <tumbleweed> we should probably check that it is actually a PD15, and not a PD15P (PAL)
[18:36:30] <RattusRattus> ack, I just cant find a PAL variant or a manual that isn't NTSC
[18:36:59] <pollo> tumbleweed: can you action me on this so I don't forget when asking highvoltage?
[18:37:02] <wouter> we can deal with NTSC if we have to, but then the *whole* room needs to be NTSC
[18:37:18] <wouter> otherwise the edit is broken, the live stream is broken, etc
[18:37:28] <wouter> you can fix it, but you can't make it pretty
[18:37:31] <pollo> can we use 2 debian camcorders with good enought results in a single room?
[18:37:40] <tumbleweed> tibid: agreed pollo to check the exact camera model with highvoltage (we hope it isn't really NTSC)
[18:37:40] <tibid> Agreed: pollo to check the exact camera model with highvoltage (we hope it isn't really NTSC)
[18:38:03] <wouter> pollo: we might be able to that too, yes
[18:38:06] <tumbleweed> pollo: I think the question you're really asking is can we use two baby cameras in one room
[18:38:18] <tumbleweed> and yes, we can, but it'd be pretty shitty :/
[18:38:27] <wouter> tumbleweed: right
[18:38:38] <tumbleweed> those things aren't easy to zoom slowly
[18:38:43] <pollo> well we don't want shit so let's say it's not an option then
[18:38:47] <tumbleweed> and we usually have them on very cheap and nasty tripods
[18:38:57] <tumbleweed> so you can't pan slowly
[18:39:07] <tumbleweed> oh, and no audio inptu
[18:39:37] <RattusRattus> the HVR-Z5 will do SD (but letterbox mode is not available) - I assume that they don't mean 16:9 do they?
[18:39:37] <wouter> tumbleweed: ah, right, didn't think of that
[18:39:49] <wouter> that's pretty much a deal breaker
[18:39:57] <wouter> RattusRattus: ... possibly
[18:40:00] <wouter> RattusRattus: which page is that?
[18:40:25] <RattusRattus> page 2
[18:41:38] <RattusRattus> but this has HDMI out just no SDI
[18:41:54] <tumbleweed> the cards we got hvae HDMI capture, right?
[18:41:55] <pollo> RattusRattus: capture cards do have HDMI inputs
[18:42:05] <tumbleweed> but there's no guarantee that we'll be able to capture from them
[18:42:17] <tumbleweed> they need to support compatible modes
[18:42:36] <pollo> tumbleweed: what do you mean?
[18:42:48] <wouter> mm
[18:42:58] <wouter> "Letterbox Mode" means you add black borders on top and at the bottom
[18:43:09] <wouter> for a 16:9 signal to be displayed on a 4:3 output
[18:43:17] <wouter> but we don't want a 16:9 signal, we want a 4:3 signal
[18:43:19] <tumbleweed> pollo: they need to both support the same resolution and refresh rate
[18:43:20] <wouter> so that doesn't even matter
[18:43:41] <tumbleweed> just having the right socket doesn't mean everything will work
[18:44:16] <RattusRattus> wouter: ack so the HVR-Z5 is looking good.
[18:44:26] <RattusRattus> Your camcorder is capable of recording in
[18:44:27] <RattusRattus> HDV/DVCAM/DV formats
[18:45:49] <wouter> RattusRattus: it's PAL-DV, right?
[18:45:56] <wouter> I can't see any definite word on that
[18:46:08] <RattusRattus> yes PAL color, CCIR standards
[18:46:16] <wouter> okay
[18:46:19] <wouter> yes, it's good then
[18:46:59] <RattusRattus> yep I think the HVR-Z5 looks the better option of the 2
[18:47:18] <pollo> so let's say we have to pay for more camera days with Solid, how much would we need?
[18:47:35] <pollo> is one cam enough or de we need the 2 right away?
[18:47:56] <tumbleweed> I think we should have one of whatever we're using for vocto from pretty early on
[18:48:00] <tumbleweed> so people can start on that
[18:48:13] <wouter> tumbleweed: weren't we going to be using the debian cameras for vocto?
[18:48:25] <wouter> which means we would have them as long as we want
[18:48:27] <tumbleweed> wouter: depends on the cameras wire hire
[18:48:45] <RattusRattus> we would only need 1 camara on hire during week 1 I guess
[18:48:46] <wouter> tumbleweed: we're just saying we'll be using the HVR-Z5
[18:48:47] <pollo> tumbleweed: none of the cams we got quoted do sdi
[18:49:25] <tumbleweed> right, I was trying to not be ambiguous :)
[18:49:44] <RattusRattus> wouter: manual
[18:50:02] <tumbleweed> as to the dvswitch, yes, one would be enough to be sure the model is going to work
[18:50:18] <tumbleweed> and then we'd want them all a day or two before talks start
[18:50:34] <pollo> noted, I'll follow up with paddatrapper on this
[18:50:51] <tumbleweed> a couple of days would probably be sensible
[18:51:04] <wouter> RattusRattus: so that manual points to "Z5E/Z5P"
[18:51:10] <wouter> where one is NTSC and the other is PAL, presumably
[18:51:33] <wouter> we really want the PAL version if we can get it
[18:51:39] <RattusRattus> again ack
[18:52:07] <RattusRattus> E&P both appaer to be PAL from the manual though
[18:53:32] <RattusRattus> the manual covers both E and P versions and explicitly claims PAL (and no NTSC support)
[18:53:48] <wouter> fair enough, we should be good then
[18:53:50] <RattusRattus> but that is the GB manual....
[18:54:00] <wouter> I don't care what the difference between E and P is, as long as we get PAL :)
[18:54:26] <RattusRattus> I am assuming as SA is (was for analogue TV) PAL that it will be the same.... (hope)
[18:54:33] <tumbleweed> yep
[18:54:54] <tumbleweed> but of course US TV also films stuff here (we're cheap), so it's possible we have kit catering for them
[18:55:20] <RattusRattus> so are we confirming we will take 2x HVR-Z5 camaras?
[18:55:39] <pollo> RattusRattus: no, I need to check a few things with highvoltage and paddatrapper first
[18:55:40] <RattusRattus> and confirming that we will take 1 for debcamp and both for debconf + 2 days?
[18:55:47] <RattusRattus> ok
[18:55:59] <RattusRattus> so moving on....
[18:56:03] <pollo> but if things stay the same (no new cams, etc.) it will be
[18:56:04] <RattusRattus> .... SOUND
[18:56:51] <tumbleweed> tibid: topic Sound
[18:56:51] <tibid> Current Topic: Sound
[18:57:09] <RattusRattus> mics I think I am correct in saying that we are hiring 6x mics?
[18:57:21] <pollo> 18x mics
[18:57:26] <tumbleweed> 6 of each type
[18:57:28] <RattusRattus> ack
[18:57:30] <pollo> yeah
[18:57:55] <RattusRattus> 6 hand held radio, 6 headset and 6 overhead (cabled)
[18:58:04] <RattusRattus> ok.
[18:58:07] <RattusRattus> so mixers
[18:58:22] <pollo> Solid proposes Soundcraft EPM8 Mixing Consoles
[18:58:24] <pollo> 3x
[18:58:37] <tumbleweed> we had an EPM6 in vienna
[18:58:45] <tumbleweed> it was nice enough, but had no fader for the sub mix
[18:58:57] * RattusRattus looks
[18:59:03] <RattusRattus> soundcraft are usuly nice
[18:59:09] <tumbleweed> this looks like the same deal
[19:00:48] <RattusRattus>
[19:01:36] <tumbleweed> EPM vs EFX: difference is EPM has 2 sub mixes, where EFX has FX sends
[19:03:24] <wouter> I'm guessing the difference between EPM8 and EPM6 is number of channels?
[19:03:28] <tumbleweed> yep
[19:03:39] <RattusRattus> ok so we can use either AUX or FX send, for what we need. IMHO AUX group is better for our needs and thats what is in the EPM8
[19:03:42] <wouter> did the EPM6 work well? Is the price reasonable?
[19:03:55] <tumbleweed> it worked well. We used the AUX send for the room
[19:04:16] <tumbleweed> (and had the room at very low level, because of the awful PA injection, via 1/8" jack and DI box)
[19:04:30] <tumbleweed> and sent the main mix to the camera
[19:04:33] <pollo> wouter: R 500,00/unit/day
[19:05:10] <pollo> so 90 euros/day
[19:05:33] <RattusRattus> 500 rend or 500000
[19:05:36] <pollo> 540 euros in total
[19:05:38] <RattusRattus> rand even
[19:05:41] <pollo> R500
[19:05:54] <RattusRattus> £22 GBP / day
[19:06:22] <RattusRattus> you can buy a mixer at that price!
[19:06:32] <tumbleweed> ?
[19:07:01] <CarlFK> then you can become a AV equipment rental company!
[19:07:04] <pollo> tumbleweed: that's 10 times the rental price
[19:07:19] <RattusRattus> not big enough (need 8 channel desk)
[19:07:31] <pollo> and they charge for 6 days only
[19:07:34] <CarlFK> you can also drive stuff around and become a delivery service.
[19:07:58] <RattusRattus> CarlFK: point taken
[19:08:28] <RattusRattus> so yes hire the 3 mixers
[19:09:08] * RattusRattus will sort shopping list for cables (I assume I'll make them up on site)
[19:09:47] <pollo> RattusRattus: AFAIK all the cables we need are included in the rental
[19:09:55] <pollo> XLR for the audio are
[19:09:58] <RattusRattus> pollo: awsome
[19:10:15] * RattusRattus will go through and list them never the less
[19:10:31] <pollo> we also found you multiple soldering irons
[19:10:54] <RattusRattus> should we get di boxes for the AUX send to the PA system 3.5mm jack (and a PAD?)
[19:10:54] <pollo> tumbleweed says we are in an electrical engeneering department so they are everywhere
[19:11:00] <RattusRattus> :-)
[19:11:11] <tumbleweed> and I have a temparature controlled one in a bag somewhere
[19:11:43] <tumbleweed> RattusRattus: I can't remember which, but apparently one of the quotes included snakes too
[19:12:21] <RattusRattus> :-)
[19:12:33] <tumbleweed> - main talk rooms
[19:12:49] <RattusRattus> ok so I think we are good for AV source and room PA.
[19:12:57] <RattusRattus> just recapping....
[19:13:18] <wouter> tumbleweed: "rooms" -- does that mean there's more than one of those?
[19:13:21] <RattusRattus> room 1 and 2 will be DV switch and room 3 will be Voctomix
[19:13:24] <tumbleweed> wouter: there are two like that
[19:13:44] <wouter> tumbleweed: and we're going to use those teensy tiny camcorders in those? ah well
[19:14:29] <tumbleweed> wouter: the others are like
[19:14:40] <tumbleweed> (there are 6 like that)
[19:14:47] <tumbleweed> ETOOMANYROOMS
[19:14:57] <wouter> tumbleweed: also, EBACKLIGHT
[19:15:18] <wouter> (godawfully difficult to get good picture with something like that)
[19:15:21] <RattusRattus> what about the plenary sessions? are they also in snape?
[19:15:32] <tumbleweed> RattusRattus: the one I said were main
[19:15:37] <tumbleweed> they're in menzies, next door to main
[19:15:43] <tumbleweed> err next door to snape
[19:15:51] <tumbleweed> oh, and we have a video team NOC, over the corridor from the main talk rooms
[19:15:54] <tumbleweed> (assuming it can be locked)
[19:16:03] <tumbleweed> (maybe with a big padlock and chain)
[19:16:27] <RattusRattus> ok so do we need to move kit between rooms for plenary or will we use GH 10 all the time?
[19:17:06] * RattusRattus is having flashbacks of portland.....
[19:17:09] <tumbleweed> the plan is to not move equipment
[19:17:23] <tumbleweed> however those rooms only seat 180
[19:17:36] <wouter> "only"?
[19:17:44] <wouter> that's "only" about half the average debconf
[19:17:55] <wouter> or do you mean the larger rooms?
[19:17:58] <tumbleweed> which is less than ideal for a plenary room
[19:18:06] <wouter> oh, you do mean the larger rooms
[19:18:15] <tumbleweed> yep the smaller ones seat 130
[19:18:17] <wouter> well, we've not usually had a plenary room that is large enough to fit everyone
[19:19:25] <RattusRattus> its a shame because there are 4 x 110-130 rooms in snape... would be nicer to keep us all in 1 building and for the sake of 50 seets for open and close....
[19:19:57] <tumbleweed> they are next door
[19:19:58] <tumbleweed> but yes
[19:20:02] <RattusRattus> ok
[19:20:13] <RattusRattus> finnaly then cable runs.
[19:20:44] <wouter> RattusRattus: do we need to do that? Isn't that usually the network team's job?
[19:20:48] <wouter> or do you mean audio cabling?
[19:20:54] <RattusRattus> do we need to make runs between NOC and rooms? or can we patch (dark) through infrastructure
[19:21:01] <tumbleweed> the plan is to patch
[19:21:38] <tumbleweed> the noc and main talk rooms are all next door / over the corridor, so cable runs are also possible
[19:21:40] <RattusRattus> wouter: portland we ran our own cables, heidleburg net team did it
[19:21:46] <RattusRattus> cool.
[19:21:49] <tumbleweed> but the bof room would be in snape
[19:22:07] <tumbleweed> net team hasn't even given the university any information yet
[19:22:18] <tumbleweed> so they're in need of some wakeup...
[19:22:43] <RattusRattus> :-) OK, for use we would like dark patching each of the talk rooms to the NOC
[19:22:56] <RattusRattus> saves me running lots of cables
[19:23:03] <tumbleweed> that may not be possible - there won't be enough patch ports in the NOC
[19:23:17] <tumbleweed> (we'll be lucky if there's one, and we don't have to unplug a wifi AP)
[19:23:22] <tumbleweed> we can check...
[19:23:25] <RattusRattus> tumbleweed: we only need 4! 3 rooms plus main out
[19:23:34] <tumbleweed> at any rate, most lecture theatres have 1 or two ports, not 4
[19:23:47] <tumbleweed> but 2-6 APs :P
[19:24:35] <tumbleweed> and our server room will probably be in a separate building, entirely
[19:25:34] <tumbleweed> urgh, we've been chatting for ages :)
[19:25:38] <tumbleweed> are we nearing the end?
[19:25:53] <RattusRattus> ack done for me
[19:26:06] <pollo> we need to discuss shipping comany
[19:26:15] <tumbleweed> tibid: topic shipping
[19:26:15] <tibid> Current Topic: shipping
[19:26:16] <pollo> FAI and next meeting mostly
[19:26:33] <pollo> I say we go with UPS even though they don't have temp import
[19:26:54] <tumbleweed> call them all and get a price for one that does temporary imports?
[19:27:13] <pollo> I wrote to DHL like 6 times
[19:27:36] <pollo> and Fedex's policies are sooo confusing I just don't get what they are talking about
[19:28:05] <pollo> I got sent to 2 different branches (first france then SA)
[19:28:19] <pollo> to get told they could not give me a quote after all
[19:28:34] <DLange> pollo: send me the packing list and I can get a quote from FedEx. We're not cash customers :)
[19:28:57] <pollo> DLange: do you know if they do temp import?
[19:29:11] <pollo> seems to be the main thing we are looking for atm
[19:29:33] <DLange> I haven't tried that for ZA yet so I don't know. But I can ask :)
[19:29:47] <pollo> cool. tumbleweed can you action me on this?
[19:30:07] <tumbleweed> tibid: agreed pollo to get a quote for FedEx via DLange
[19:30:07] <tibid> Agreed: pollo to get a quote for FedEx via DLange
[19:30:22] <pollo> to recap, stuff is still in Vienna
[19:30:32] <pollo> and olasd gets back on the 24th
[19:30:41] <pollo> but air shipping is about 4-5 days
[19:30:48] <pollo> so we're still good on this
[19:30:55] <tumbleweed> DLange: it seems RattusRattus will bring some radios
[19:31:04] <DLange> nice
[19:31:07] <tumbleweed> (and highvoltage and I will probably bring too)
[19:31:18] <paddatrapper> Sorry I'm so late. Got caught up in other things
[19:31:41] <tumbleweed> tibid: minutes so far
[19:31:41] <tibid> Minutes available at
[19:31:48] <tumbleweed> paddatrapper: search for your name
[19:32:04] <paddatrapper> tumbleweed: thanks. Scanned through the backlog too
[19:33:55] <paddatrapper> Do you want me to provide info about those points now or later?
[19:33:57] <pollo> I think that's about it for this part
[19:34:19] <pollo> paddatrapper: I think now would be nice, we could have a better idea of what's to come
[19:35:48] <paddatrapper> Ok. The cameras are PAL, and output HDMI. The quote includes HDMI-SDI Blackmagic converters for them
[19:36:22] <RattusRattus> paddatrapper: awsome
[19:36:33] <pollo> and what about the dates? do we have the cameras only from 1-9 june?
[19:36:52] <paddatrapper> I asked for from the 28th, but will confirm
[19:38:24] <tumbleweed> tibid: agreed paddatrapper to confirm camera availability from the 28th
[19:38:24] <tibid> Agreed: paddatrapper to confirm camera availability from the 28th
[19:38:33] <DLange> how much is the total rent now (sans radios)?
[19:38:41] <DLange> (can't check the pdf currently)
[19:38:58] <pollo> DLange: if we go with Solid Events (most probable), about 400 euros
[19:39:06] <pollo> /s/400/4000/
[19:39:29] <DLange> good. That's within the budget line still.
[19:39:39] <pollo> Not if we include shipping
[19:39:59] <pollo> but we won't be 3K euros over for sure
[19:40:08] <DLange> ok
[19:40:08] * RattusRattus now knows AV hardware so will put final cable connector list togeather
[19:40:29] <RattusRattus> and we can see what is included from that list in the hire
[19:40:40] <pollo> next topic?
[19:40:45] <tumbleweed> tibid: topic FAI
[19:40:45] <tibid> Current Topic: FAI
[19:40:51] <RattusRattus> next meeting?
[19:40:51] <paddatrapper> R74 00
[19:40:59] <pollo> anyone in charge of FAIs&
[19:41:11] <tumbleweed> in recent years, I've been doing a lot of that
[19:41:23] <tumbleweed> but I think a few other people have their heads wrapped around it, too
[19:41:26] <wouter> tumbleweed: I'm guessing you're going to have less time for that this time around, no?
[19:41:36] <paddatrapper> FIAs?
[19:41:36] <tumbleweed> I can give you the FAI image we used in germany
[19:41:48] <paddatrapper> s/FAI/FIA
[19:41:58] <wouter> paddatrapper: Fully Automated Installer -- a config management system
[19:41:54] <tumbleweed> paddatrapper:
[19:42:26] <tumbleweed> not the most modern configuration management system, and we use it in a slightly bastandardised way...
[19:42:32] <tumbleweed> but hey, it work
[19:42:36] <tumbleweed> works
[19:42:38] <wouter> yeah, sortof :)
[19:42:39] <paddatrapper> Ah ok. What are we using it for?
[19:42:41] <pollo> :D, one day
[19:42:48] <tumbleweed> imaging the wheezy machines we use for dvswitch
[19:43:18] <wouter> speaking of which, did I mention that I didn't get dvswitch to work properly on jessie?
[19:43:19] <paddatrapper> Right
[19:43:26] <DLange> also the main author will be onsite DC16. So support++
[19:43:37] <DLange> (MrFAI = Thomas Lange)
[19:43:40] <wouter> yes
[19:44:02] <paddatrapper> Just got confirmation, Got everything, but the cameras from 28 July. I'm going to try twist their arm re the cameras
[19:44:16] <pollo> paddatrapper: we only need one for Debcamp
[19:44:38] <paddatrapper> pollo: Ok, so I should leave it as is?
[19:44:49] <tumbleweed> yeah, that's fine
[19:44:58] <pollo> paddatrapper: well atm the quote says we have cameras from 1-9 june
[19:45:03] <pollo> and this is not fine
[19:45:18] <pollo> we need one camera for debcamp to test our setup
[19:45:21] <paddatrapper> That's the range they are charging for. Not charging for the testing and setup days
[19:45:43] <pollo> "Video Equipment (ONLY SUPPLIED FROM 1-9 JUNE"
[19:45:49] <pollo> sounds pretty clear to me
[19:46:07] <pollo> but if it's not, then hurray
[19:46:39] <paddatrapper> That's the cameras, which we just need from 1 june right?
[19:46:50] <tumbleweed> paddatrapper: no, we need them before 1 june
[19:46:55] <pollo> to test them
[19:46:56] <tumbleweed> talks start on 1 june
[19:47:05] <tumbleweed> err start on 2 july
[19:47:14] <pollo> but we don't need both cameras for testing
[19:47:14] <tumbleweed> I guess we can survive with them arriving on 1 july
[19:47:26] <paddatrapper> Ok. I'll seee what I can do
[19:47:31] <tumbleweed> but testing before the day before the conference would be useful
[19:47:44] <paddatrapper> For sure!
[19:47:46] <tumbleweed> even if we just get one for a few hours one day, and take it back
[19:47:53] <wouter> er, does the quote actually say 1-9 *june*, or is that a mistype on pollo's part?
[19:47:57] <wouter> if it says june, we have a problem
[19:48:00] <tumbleweed> lol
[19:48:10] <pollo> haha it does
[19:48:15] <pollo> that's a type
[19:48:23] <pollo> /s/type/typo
[19:48:26] <pollo> from their part
[19:48:35] <wouter> well, make sure to get that clarified too, then
[19:48:40] <pollo> oh dude it's not
[19:48:45] <wouter> because if it's not a typo but a mistake...
[19:48:46] <pollo> Event Date:2-9 June 2016
[19:48:59] <pollo> paddatrapper: you'll need to clear this out!
[19:49:01] <paddatrapper> I'll get it sorted
[19:49:02] <wouter> sounds like a problem to me
[19:49:23] <tumbleweed> tibid: agreed paddatrapper to correct june -> july (and get a camera for some testing before 1 july)
[19:49:23] <tibid> Agreed: paddatrapper to correct june -> july (and get a camera for some testing before 1 july)
[19:49:31] <pollo> next meeting?
[19:49:35] <tumbleweed> tibid: topic next meeting
[19:49:35] <tibid> Current Topic: next meeting
[19:49:39] <tumbleweed> same time next week?
[19:49:41] <pollo> I can't make it
[19:49:43] <RattusRattus> not weekend/friday please.....
[19:49:56] <pollo> I can't make it during the weekend either next week
[19:50:04] <tumbleweed> 18:00 SAST thursday?
[19:50:08] <tumbleweed> err UTC
[19:50:11] <wouter> what's SAST?
[19:50:22] <pollo> south africa standart time?
[19:50:22] <tumbleweed> 18:00 UTC is what I was proposing
[19:50:25] <tumbleweed> yep
[19:50:41] <pollo> hmm, can't
[19:50:46] <wouter> 18:00 UTC could possibly work for me on thursday
[19:50:48] <RattusRattus> sorry I'm on a plane
[19:50:51] <pollo> later would work, but no 18:00
[19:50:59] <wouter> as long as we don't try to do that on monday I should be fine
[19:51:02] <tumbleweed> RattusRattus: I guess a different day, then?
[19:51:09] <tumbleweed> wednesday has the -team meeting
[19:51:35] <tumbleweed> we could take the hour before it (17:30 UTC - 18:30)
[19:51:37] <pollo> can we afford to do this tuesday 30th?
[19:51:49] <RattusRattus> tumbleweed: next week is gonna be a bitch for me (I can do monday / tuesday only) so miss me for next meeting sorry
[19:51:50] <pollo> tumbleweed: this suits me
[19:52:00] <RattusRattus> ok tuesday is fine
[19:52:09] <paddatrapper> I can't make Wednesday - writing an exam
[19:52:09] <wouter> tumbleweed: I prefer not to have meetings with deadlines
[19:52:22] <wouter> but tuesdays work for me
[19:52:50] <pollo> next tuesday is fine for me, but it's quite soon
[19:52:51] <tumbleweed> tuesday evenings I'm usually at a restuarant with local team people
[19:52:52] <pollo> but meh
[19:52:57] <tumbleweed> but that can work
[19:53:03] <tumbleweed> and it may mean highvoltage is at hand :P
[19:53:10] <RattusRattus> :-)
[19:53:11] <wouter> tumbleweed: that could be helpful, yes :)
[19:53:27] <pollo> cool, so 24th
[19:53:43] <tumbleweed> I'm guessing it can be pretty quick
[19:53:48] <tumbleweed> things are getting tichter
[19:53:50] <tumbleweed> tighter
[19:54:06] <tumbleweed> I mean, closer to being finalized :)
[19:54:12] <tumbleweed> are we done?
[19:54:17] <pollo> time?
[19:54:20] <pollo> 18:00 utc?
[19:54:27] <wouter> yeah, I think that works best for everyone
[19:54:39] <paddatrapper> cool
[19:54:41] <tumbleweed> +1
[19:54:51] <tumbleweed> tibid: agreed next meeting is 24th at 18:00 UTC
[19:54:51] <tibid> Agreed: next meeting is 24th at 18:00 UTC
[19:54:58] <wouter> we're done then, I think
[19:55:00] <tumbleweed> tibid: end meeting