Meeting about DebConf 16 bid

Convened at 2014-12-03 19:40:49.603630 by tumbleweed in #debconf16-capetown on oftc


[19:40:49] STARTED (tumbleweed)
[19:53:45] AGREED: tumbleweed to contact some UCT departments to fill in missing bid gaps (tumbleweed)
[19:53:57] AGREED: nattie to contact technopark with questions (nattie)
[19:54:31] AGREED: highvoltage to contact breakwater (nattie)
[20:01:46] ENDED (tumbleweed)


Raw Log

[19:40:49] <tumbleweed> tibid: start meeting about DebConf 16 bid
[19:40:49] * tibid gets out his memo-pad and cracks his knuckles
[19:40:57] <madduck> hello
[19:41:01] <tumbleweed> has my list of questions about our bid
[19:41:08] <superfly> tibid: I am Raoul Snyman
[19:41:08] <tibid> superfly: Done
[19:41:13] <tumbleweed> tibid: I am Stefano Rivera
[19:41:13] <tibid> tumbleweed: Alrighty
[19:41:18] <highvoltage> tumbleweed: I am an opportunistic troublemaker
[19:41:28] <highvoltage> oops, meant to say that to tibid
[19:41:30] <tumbleweed> :P
[19:41:33] <highvoltage> oh well
[19:41:39] <highvoltage> tibid: I am Jonathan Carter
[19:41:39] <tibid> highvoltage: Yessir
[19:41:43] * madduck has a phone conf at the same time, so only marginally present, sorry
[19:41:46] <nattie> tibid: i am Nattie Mayer-Hutchings
[19:41:46] <tibid> nattie: Alrighty
[19:41:53] <confluency> tibid: I am Adrianna Pińska
[19:41:53] <tibid> confluency: Yessir
[19:41:59] <nattie> (at least tibid isn't calling me a dude this time)
[19:42:09] <Hodgestar> tibid: I am Simon Cross
[19:42:09] <tibid> Hodgestar: Righto
[19:42:18] <nattie> wow, all these surnames :)
[19:42:24] <tumbleweed> nattie: unfortunately there isn't a protocol for determining gender over IRC
[19:42:31] <nattie> tumbleweed: i know, i know
[19:42:47] <tumbleweed> so
[19:42:57] <tumbleweed> I don't know how much we want to flesh out our backup venues
[19:42:57] <Hodgestar> tumbleweed: I thought that's what the ASL protocol was for? :P
[19:43:04] <tumbleweed> Hodgestar: duh!
[19:43:28] <nattie> old enough to know better / yeah, go on then / here
[19:43:31] <nattie> (clearly)
[19:43:38] <highvoltage> tumbleweed: the details listed on the whiteboard seems reasomanle
[19:43:46] <highvoltage> also reasonable
[19:44:47] <nattie> just a quick one: those using the alias, please also cc the alias when writing from there
[19:44:59] <nattie> but i guess i'll just tell indiebio that later
[19:45:00] <tumbleweed> ah, yes, I'm guilty of that
[19:45:12] <Hodgestar> What is the agenda for this meeting? (other than admiring tumbleweed's list?)
[19:45:19] <highvoltage> what does that mean?
[19:45:24] <nattie> well, that was *my* plan for the evening...
[19:45:39] <tumbleweed> Hodgestar: I don't know if we have anything else to discuss
[19:46:53] <nattie> so should we just set down some action items?
[19:46:54] <highvoltage> btw, for those who missed it, our bid proposal was formally submitted on Monday
[19:46:59] <nattie> \o/
[19:47:16] <highvoltage> tumbleweed: so sounds like for now, we just need someone to chase up the items on
[19:47:21] <tumbleweed> and Montreal has a bid in, too
[19:47:34] <tumbleweed> highvoltage: ideally several someones
[19:47:40] <tumbleweed> most of this can be done by e-mail
[19:47:43] <highvoltage> *nod*
[19:47:57] <nattie> i can get a bit more involved again, now
[19:48:15] <nattie> (my apologies for my recent absences)
[19:48:34] <highvoltage> tumbleweed: I can pick up some of it, but I haven't been involved with our venue contacts so would just need our contact info there
[19:48:46] <nattie> highvoltage: i think that's all in the git repo
[19:48:46] <tumbleweed> yeah, basically indiebio is the one with the contacts
[19:49:09] <highvoltage> ah right
[19:49:12] <tumbleweed> but we have an email address for breakwater, and technopark
[19:49:22] <tumbleweed> and UCT is fragmented, with all their email addresses on their website
[19:50:18] <nattie> highvoltage: if you're sending mail, would you also like to be on the alias?
[19:50:21] <highvoltage> I think UCT is too complicated for anyone else than indibio
[19:50:38] <tumbleweed> I'm happy to take on some of the UCT stuff
[19:50:39] <highvoltage> nattie: ah, yes please
[19:50:39] <nattie> we're using one address from which to send, so that replies all go to the same place
[19:50:59] <nattie> highvoltage: cool, address please?
[19:51:07] <highvoltage> nattie:
[19:51:07] <tumbleweed> nattie: get wendar added too? (I asked her about it ages ago, but don't know if it happened)
[19:51:28] <nattie> tumbleweed: i asked Ganneff, will try again
[19:52:56] <tumbleweed> ok, so I'm going to take on some UCT upper campus stuff, and mail the list with feedback. I think indiebio will have to handle some of them
[19:53:05] <tumbleweed> anyone want to take on breakwater / technopark?
[19:53:14] <nattie> i guess i could take on technopark?
[19:53:30] <nattie> since that one is the least developed of the contacts as far as i can tell?
[19:53:45] <tumbleweed> tibid: agreed tumbleweed to contact some UCT departments to fill in missing bid gaps
[19:53:45] <tibid> Agreed: tumbleweed to contact some UCT departments to fill in missing bid gaps
[19:53:55] <highvoltage> +1 nattie
[19:53:57] <nattie> tibid: agreed nattie to contact technopark with questions
[19:53:57] <tibid> Agreed: nattie to contact technopark with questions
[19:54:19] <highvoltage> I'll get as much of the breakwater details as possible then
[19:54:31] <nattie> tibid: agreed highvoltage to contact breakwater
[19:54:31] <tibid> Agreed: highvoltage to contact breakwater
[19:54:35] <tumbleweed> highvoltage: I'll send your the last email exchange we had with them
[19:54:43] <highvoltage> righto
[19:54:58] <tumbleweed> indiebio was trying to brow-beat them a bit too far on costs, I think.
[19:55:28] <tumbleweed> OK
[19:55:30] <tumbleweed> anything else?
[19:55:46] <highvoltage> doesn't seem so
[19:55:58] <highvoltage> maybe we should just confirm that we're having a meeting next week
[19:56:01] <tumbleweed> madduck: should we just be sitting back and waiting for questions from the debconf team?
[19:56:12] <highvoltage> and we'll probably not do much over the xmas holiday period?
[19:56:29] <nattie> xmas is still 3 weeks away!
[19:56:38] <highvoltage> nattie: that's like, now :)
[19:56:55] <tumbleweed> I'm tempted to keep going weekly for now, trying hard to keep them short
[19:56:56] <nattie> as opposed to now-now?
[19:57:10] <nattie> tumbleweed: agreed - short, sweet and... er yeah
[19:57:11] <tumbleweed> when we find ourselves with nothing to discuss, we can back off
[19:57:28] <nattie> we'll know either way by march or whenever
[19:57:39] <highvoltage> nattie: hah! I didn't realise you speak South African English
[19:57:41] <tumbleweed> deadline is set at end of Jan
[19:57:51] <highvoltage> +1
[19:57:53] <nattie> highvoltage: i've picked up odds and sods :)
[19:58:10] <nattie> tumbleweed: ooh, we can spend fosdem being mildly nervous then...
[19:58:32] <tumbleweed> :)
[19:58:37] <madduck> tumbleweed: basically, yes.
[19:58:52] <madduck> but you can also keep improving the bid, which will save you time later
[19:58:54] <nattie> but there's no harm in fleshing stuff out
[19:59:34] <madduck> it's not yet decided but I think that there'll be open discussion on the dc-team list about the bids and a first meeting on 12 January, with a followup/decision meeting on 26 January
[19:59:39] <madduck> don't quote me on that.
[19:59:51] <nattie> those are mondays, right?
[20:00:01] <tumbleweed> hrm, and between now and then? idle reading of wiki pages?
[20:00:10] <highvoltage> January
[20:00:10] <highvoltage> Su Mo Tu We Th Fr Sa
[20:00:10] <highvoltage> 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
[20:00:10] <highvoltage> 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
[20:00:10] <highvoltage> 1 2 3
[20:00:13] <highvoltage> 18 19 20 21 22 23 24
[20:00:15] <highvoltage> 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
[20:01:04] <nattie> i'll try to be present for as much of those meetings as possible, though i might not be able to attend the whole one on the 26th
[20:01:35] <tumbleweed> ok, I guess we're done
[20:01:40] <nattie> righto
[20:01:46] <tumbleweed> tibid: end meeting