Meeting about DebConf 16 planning

Convened at 2015-02-18 19:48:32.637631 by tumbleweed in #debconf16-capetown on oftc


[19:48:32] STARTED (tumbleweed)
[19:48:56] TOPIC: timeline (tumbleweed)
[20:48:12] AGREED: indiebio to start documenting debconf (tumbleweed)
[20:53:05] AGREED: maddock to expand 3rd column in localteamroles (tumbleweed)
[20:55:15] AGREED: superfly to start on a website design (tumbleweed)
[20:57:50] AGREED: nkukard to start a preliminary budget, with help from madduck (tumbleweed)
[21:06:31] ENDED (tumbleweed)


Raw Log

[19:48:32] <tumbleweed> tibid: start meeting about DebConf 16 planning
[19:48:32] * tibid gets out his memo-pad and cracks his knuckles
[19:48:56] <tumbleweed> tibid: topic timeline
[19:48:56] <tibid> Current Topic: timeline
[19:49:17] <tumbleweed> highvoltage, wendar, indiebio?
[19:50:31] <indiebio> tibid please note the webpage for the minutes:
[19:50:31] * tibid sucks note the webpage for the minutes:'s cawk
[19:50:48] <indiebio> oh wow! I have the power! :D
[19:50:52] <indiebio> what does sucks mean>?
[19:51:05] <indiebio> and he spit it out. tibid is a cat.
[19:51:10] <indiebio> hairball
[19:51:13] <indiebio> ok. focus.
[19:51:39] <indiebio> can we do my real irc client this weekend sometime?
[19:51:47] <madduck> \o/
[19:52:30] <tumbleweed> tibid: literal please $arg
[19:52:30] <tibid> tumbleweed: 1: <action> sucks $1's cawk, 2: <action> drips chocolate sauce all over $1 before slowly licking it off, 3: <action> punts $1 in the cunt, 4: <action> teabags $1, 5: <action> has sex with $1 in the missionary position for the purpose of procreation, 6: <action> works $1's shaft, 7: <action> gives $1 a chron job
[19:52:32] <madduck> about LocalTeamRoles: I hope you all read my mail. It's important that we try hard to get this right. DebConf orga is in flux and while I am sorry that this means you'll have to deal with rough edges here and there, it also means you get to be a part of it right from the start! ;)
[19:52:36] <tumbleweed> tibid used to hang out in bad channels
[19:52:36] <tibid> tumbleweed: Huh?
[19:52:43] <tumbleweed> excuse him
[19:52:54] <indiebio> also, for the record, only semantics :) I'm indiebio - all small letters, and an 'e' in there.
[19:52:55] <indiebio> WTF
[19:53:15] <indiebio> WTF tibid?
[19:53:33] <nkukard> wow
[19:53:39] <tumbleweed> tibid: forget please $arg
[19:53:39] <tibid> tumbleweed: Righto
[19:54:26] <nkukard> madduck, the second I can get back onto wiki I'll check the page you linked me and signup where I can :)
[19:54:42] <madduck> nkukard: yeah, I am sorry about the wiki
[19:54:57] <nkukard> not your fault mate, shit happens :)
[19:54:59] <tumbleweed> but also, signing up on the wiki is just a small part of joining the team
[19:55:14] <tumbleweed> we need to join the appropriate mailing lists, and get involved
[19:55:30] <indiebio> nkukard, try on firefox?
[19:55:57] <tumbleweed> I think if you've trusted the debconf CA cert, in firefox, it won't let you override the expired cert
[19:56:09] <tumbleweed> which is just silly
[19:56:15] <nkukard> indiebio, behind a company firewall, cannot access anything thats got an invalid ssl cert
[19:56:28] <indiebio> ok, timeline: I roughly agree so far. Will give this thinking as we go along. I think the urgent thing is getting sponsors aboard.
[19:57:27] <indiebio> the logo will do in the coming months, for now, let's just keep it simple. It means we have to spend some time with a generic one, but going the competition route gets more exposure in the non-debian fields, and get other skills involved.
[19:57:55] <indiebio> what I'm really hoping for is geek's girlfriends and friends and such - basically how I got involved...
[19:58:10] <indiebio> And obviously a great logo by the time we announce at DC15
[19:59:16] <indiebio> madduck, as far as I remember, our first altercation was about sponsorship. Can you give us a brief overview of the status of sponsorship at DC15, and we can then do the details in an email thread?
[19:59:54] <madduck> altercation??
[20:00:00] <madduck> did we have an altercation??
[20:00:08] <tumbleweed> :P
[20:00:10] <indiebio> the one otehr than google, you mean?
[20:00:24] <madduck> ;)
[20:00:38] <indiebio> I wanted to chase sponsors and you didn't want to let me
[20:00:53] <madduck> we have about 100k € raised and some more leads. We would love to get 150k and we're still working on it
[20:01:14] <madduck> About chasing sponsors for DC16, the only thing we need to be careful is not to confuse sponsors
[20:01:26] <madduck> so if you have a local Cape Town sponsor to approach, nothing should stop you
[20:01:34] <madduck> get them to sponsor DC15 too though! ;) </kidding>
[20:01:36] <indiebio> thinking in terms of the greater DC, what are the sponsors (global?) that need to be kept integrated or whatever?
[20:01:57] <indiebio> do you have a list? Can we get this list tailored for DC16 somewhere?
[20:02:03] <madduck> in terms of chasing sponsors in general, also local ones, I suggest however that you do this as part of the fundraising team
[20:02:15] <indiebio> noted that DC16 sponsors may be willing and should be encouraged to get a presence at DC15 too
[20:02:24] <madduck> we keep this list somewhat internal as it's a bit classified, hence please join the fundraising team
[20:02:31] <madduck> is this something that sounds plausible?
[20:02:36] <indiebio> ok, link please?
[20:02:49] <madduck> wiki is down :(
[20:02:58] <madduck> join #debconf-sponsors
[20:03:00] <indiebio> or is that a irc channel? (haha, freudian slip, I write challenge first)
[20:03:14] <madduck> yes, another irc channel
[20:03:27] <madduck> let me say one more thing though
[20:03:25] <tumbleweed> indiebio:
[20:03:43] <madduck> there's ample time for DC16 and approaching sponsors in September will be good
[20:03:50] <madduck> not sure there is any gain in doing so earlier
[20:04:01] <madduck> I think the first thing to do regarding fundraising
[20:04:03] <indiebio> ah, thanks tumbleweed, I need to take myself off the infra one though, won't add any value there!
[20:04:06] <madduck> is to finish the fundraising brochure
[20:04:33] <indiebio> I disagree madduck. The funding cycles (at least in SA) close end Feb for funding in 2016.
[20:04:54] <indiebio> It would be good, in my opinion, to attract interest before the end of the month - aka we have one week!
[20:05:13] <indiebio> I see these as going in parallel. We need a good draft ASAP, sure.
[20:05:32] <indiebio> But we also, at the same time, need to get discussions/meetings with the bigger sponsors.
[20:05:43] <indiebio> Obviously smaller ones can go continually.
[20:06:03] <indiebio> The flipside is if they want an international focus, we can offer DC15 too :)
[20:06:36] <madduck> indiebio: end of Feb 2015 for funding in 2015??
[20:07:00] <madduck> funding in 2016 I mean
[20:07:04] <madduck> wow, that's quite early
[20:07:06] <indiebio> no, end of feb 2015 for funding 2016
[20:07:10] <tumbleweed> I don't know if having any kind of document in a week is possible. But if you think you need to make initial contacts, do it
[20:07:11] <madduck> well, in that case, get on it! ;)
[20:07:19] <madduck> we don't have any sponsors based in cape town
[20:07:20] <indiebio> this is for the bigger amounts.
[20:07:22] <tumbleweed> ZA financial year runs feb to feb
[20:07:24] <madduck> so you are free to go
[20:07:33] <tumbleweed> err marcch to feb
[20:07:35] <madduck> only Hetzner is an exception I think
[20:07:54] <madduck> they are bronze for us and they are active in CT
[20:08:31] <tumbleweed> I don't know how tightly and are related
[20:10:02] - indiebio online
[20:10:20] <indiebio> internet issue. I blame the young adults and their multiplayer games.
[20:10:25] <indiebio> what did I miss?
[20:10:38] <tumbleweed> what was the last thing you saw?
[20:10:54] <tumbleweed> tibid: minutes so far
[20:10:54] <tibid> Minutes available at
[20:10:58] <tumbleweed> indiebio: ^^
[20:11:47] <indiebio> ah, I missed nothing.
[20:12:21] <madduck> indiebio: do you have a list of the sponsors you are going to approach?
[20:12:25] <indiebio> ok, so timeline peeps. my bedtime is 18 minutes away.
[20:12:33] <madduck> maybe the best would be to let us look at this list and then give green light?
[20:12:53] <madduck> or you ask in #debconf-sponsors about each just before making contact?
[20:13:02] <indiebio> erm. Not really. We had a list on the bid page. I am more interested in the unconventionals - e.g. SABMiller, Woolworths perhaps...
[20:13:10] <madduck> i fear that a week is not enough to properly pull you into the fundraising team
[20:13:11] <indiebio> remember, my agenda is more biological :)
[20:13:23] <madduck> indiebio: well, you're clear on both of those
[20:13:29] <indiebio> Siemens, eventhough they seem not a good fit or indecicive or something
[20:13:31] <madduck> if we don't have to drink SABMiller all week
[20:13:41] <madduck> siemens… clear!
[20:13:47] <indiebio> lol, if they're free and you can buy the rest?
[20:13:53] <indiebio> GE?
[20:13:56] <madduck> clear
[20:14:02] <indiebio> I remember georg lerm saying something about their medical stuff
[20:14:08] * madduck wonders why we didn't try siemens
[20:14:13] <madduck> hold off on siemens for now, please.
[20:14:21] <indiebio> agreed
[20:14:24] <madduck> do they use debian?
[20:14:29] <madduck> in ZA?
[20:14:52] <tumbleweed> no idea :P
[20:15:10] <indiebio> siemens does all sorts of process control for the water industry, but they were confusing to me at TEDx, sending mixed signals, and georg said 'Siemens doesn't even know what Siemens wants'
[20:15:24] <madduck> yeah, sounds like the german company
[20:15:33] <madduck> go for it. we are too late for them for dc15 anyway
[20:15:51] <indiebio> I'm not hard sold that the sponsors use debian, I want them to have an issue or interest that might push them to Debian. IS this an acceptable approach for you all?
[20:16:01] <indiebio> I won't do Microsoft, obviously, but other than that...
[20:16:18] <madduck> microsoft can sponsor us.
[20:16:22] <madduck> if google is allowed to.
[20:16:24] <indiebio> I'm interested in process control companies.
[20:16:26] <madduck> pecunia non olet!
[20:16:26] <indiebio> really?
[20:16:32] <indiebio> say what?
[20:16:35] <tumbleweed> why not?
[20:16:39] <madduck> "money does not stink" ;)
[20:17:06] <indiebio> hahaha, where's your principles now?
[20:17:19] <madduck> but hey, if your fiscal year is Mar through Feb and the conf is in July, then wouldn't it be fine to get into the budget starting March 2016??
[20:17:23] <madduck> and we have another year?
[20:17:32] <madduck> indiebio: this *is* our principle when fundraising
[20:17:34] <indiebio> My point being, be inclusive, solve problems. IF they are open to considering/being associated with Debian, then they're welcome
[20:17:39] <madduck> we don't sell out, but we take money
[20:17:48] <madduck> absolutely fine, this approach of yours
[20:17:58] <madduck> good luck though, you might well need it ;)
[20:18:02] <cate> madduck: it is not true!
[20:18:09] <madduck> cate: what is not true?
[20:18:09] <indiebio> I'm fine with going and them saying, you're too early. In the past we got a lot of 'you're too late'
[20:18:18] <indiebio> maybe they were just blowing us off ... :/
[20:18:23] <madduck> indiebio: yeah absolutely, but don't rush things
[20:18:33] <madduck> i.e. i think a fundraising brochure and flyer are good to have
[20:18:36] <cate> the alleged principle of sponsors. There was many discussion in part about some sponsors
[20:18:38] <indiebio> noted
[20:18:48] <cate> so dont try to sell your idea as team ideas
[20:18:50] <madduck> cate: for dc15, the fundraising team explicitly decided this.
[20:19:00] <madduck> sorry, but it is true
[20:19:12] <madduck> /topic #debconf-sponsors even
[20:19:25] <cate> with discussion, with dc15.
[20:19:41] <madduck> cate: I am talking about the debconf fundraising team, not the dc15 team
[20:19:47] <madduck> please take this to #debconf-sponsors
[20:20:00] <madduck> i am sorry, not trying to create problems here
[20:20:05] <madduck> this isn't even my idea, cate.
[20:20:11] <indiebio> cate, madduck, I think we can all agree that it is a good idea to clear sponsors on a case by case basis.
[20:20:38] <indiebio> can we take sponsors offline for now? move on to team roles?
[20:21:11] * madduck nods
[20:21:12] <indiebio> tubmlweed, tibid action: all to list potential sponsors on bid page
[20:21:24] <indiebio> tumbleweed, ^^
[20:21:36] <madduck> in general, we keep stuff related to sponsors, even potential, non-public
[20:21:40] <madduck> you can list ideas
[20:21:45] <indiebio> action: indiebio to draft sponsor introduction email/cover letter jobbie for feedback from team.
[20:21:53] <madduck> but if there are any plans or ongoing negotiations, take if off the public web
[20:21:59] <tumbleweed> we already have potential sponsors on the bid page
[20:22:00] <indiebio> agreed
[20:22:03] <tumbleweed> also, the bid is over now
[20:22:16] <madduck> there are templates/cover letters available, ping me indiebio
[20:22:16] <indiebio> very open though and none approached yet, but maybe we should take them off for now?
[20:22:39] <madduck> this work should be done as part of the debconf fundraising team
[20:22:48] <madduck> i am happy to induce you to it
[20:22:56] <madduck> in a separate meeting, ok?
[20:23:04] <indiebio> ok, thanks madduck. would be good to have a doc to edit, easier than starting from scratch
[20:23:09] <indiebio> yup
[20:23:16] <madduck> it's all in git
[20:23:19] <madduck> sorry
[20:23:40] <indiebio> ok, so I think we've dealth with that. can we move on to team roles?
[20:24:03] <tumbleweed> so, I've had people contacting me asking how they can help
[20:24:12] <indiebio> excellent!
[20:24:17] <tumbleweed> we probably need a CLUG talk or something, to get locals into a room, and explain how to get engaged
[20:24:32] <indiebio> we scheduled a DebConf one for March, right? Or April.
[20:24:43] <indiebio> By then we should have a structure with a put your name here
[20:24:44] <tumbleweed> dunno
[20:24:55] <tumbleweed> it's more than just putting your name somewhere, though
[20:24:58] <indiebio> There's one scheduled either this month or next
[20:25:22] <madduck> may i offer a piece of advice on this, from dc15 experience?
[20:25:22] <indiebio> sure. With TEDx, ok, we struggled with this for a long time, but what we ended up doing was
[20:25:30] <indiebio> 1. have clear leaders on each section
[20:26:01] <madduck> so I think we scared a lot of locals away with the dc-orga team reorg and dc-orga in general, requiring people to "sign up" to teams and what not.
[20:26:04] <indiebio> 2. HAve a workshop where everyone was taken through the steps. And after that they decided if they were still in and we assigned / let them go once we got to know them a bit better
[20:26:34] <indiebio> so what's your advice, madduck?
[20:26:36] <madduck> i think it'll be much better to have a strong core team of drivers and regular meetings, the timeline, and then to identify little tasks to pass to people on an individual basis and monitor progress
[20:26:49] <madduck> rather than trying to think top-down in terms of teams…
[20:27:02] <madduck> the work should still be done in cooperation with the existing teams, for sure
[20:27:17] <tumbleweed> madduck: that sounsd mostly how things work, yes
[20:27:18] <madduck> but i don't think this is the way to get people involved who don't care much about debconf orga
[20:27:22] <madduck> and just want to help get dc16 on
[20:28:27] <madduck> tumbleweed: sorry if I am preaching to the choir.
[20:28:38] <tumbleweed> madduck: no, this is helpful
[20:28:49] <tumbleweed> I mean, a lot of people here don't have DC experience
[20:29:42] <madduck> and despite 16 conferences in varying parts of the globe, DC orga is not a well-lubed process ;)
[20:30:03] <madduck> volunteers! I blame the volunteers. And those opinionated Debian people.
[20:30:19] <indiebio> lols
[20:30:27] <tumbleweed> + burnout + turnover because the conference moves around
[20:30:51] <indiebio> I generally agree on all points
[20:31:01] <tumbleweed> also, debconf wiki is now fixed
[20:31:26] <tumbleweed> (or almost)
[20:31:58] <tumbleweed> anything else?
[20:32:00] <indiebio> question: is there a Debian Day coordinator that is separate from DebConf or not?
[20:32:22] <indiebio> I see myself adding more value there than DebConf proper, from a technical topic point of view, at least
[20:32:26] <tumbleweed> no, I think the content team handles both
[20:32:45] <madduck> indiebio: cool. I told the other guys in the last few days that there are some rough edges ahead, and I will try hard to help you guys steer clear of them, but we are in flux and we are not as professional as TEDx and so faith and patience will be needed.
[20:33:01] <madduck> indiebio: DebianDay is not a fixed concept
[20:33:12] <madduck> we are having an Open Weekend and noone really knows details yet
[20:33:19] <madduck> so go wild and think up what you want.
[20:33:38] <madduck> then prepare to take it to the team and defend your idea.
[20:33:38] <indiebio> madduck, TEDx is volunteer driven, I think a lot of overlap (apart from TEDx being rather useless in the stuff that adds value arena .. cough, sorry)
[20:33:49] <madduck> ;)
[20:33:52] <madduck> ok, I did not know.
[20:33:55] <indiebio> But they also spent a lot of resources developing kits for organisers that may be useful to some extent
[20:34:20] <indiebio> they being TED, spent resources helping TEDx organisers...
[20:34:27] <madduck> I am hoping that by the time DC17 comes around, we'll have those kits too, and I am hoping that we as DC16 will spend some time documenting our stuff
[20:34:35] <indiebio> OK, I'd like to be involved with the Open Weekend.
[20:34:38] <madduck> DC14 and DC15 operated in a void
[20:34:44] <madduck> after the team dismantled over DC13
[20:34:54] <indiebio> OK, I'd definitely want to be involved in that kit making process!!
[20:35:09] <madduck> mainly *because* DC13 did too much stuff by themselves, which was also due to the dc-orga team not devoting any attention to them
[20:35:13] <indiebio> Don't think I'm good at it, but with team input all my mistakes may go into lessons learnt :)
[20:35:21] <madduck> not trying to attribute blame and this is only my perception, but just so you know…
[20:35:34] <madduck> indiebio: that's the spirit!
[20:37:31] <indiebio> I've added Content team and Open Weekend to this page:
[20:37:46] <indiebio> It's a bit messy, but I guess with time these will get more flowing
[20:38:30] <madduck> can I remove the last column from the table and just have the table basically identify tasks and then say what to do if you want to work on it?
[20:39:09] <indiebio> sounds good to me, I don't understand the difference between the last two.
[20:39:57] <indiebio> So in my mind, the next things are: website, orga 'kits', sponsors, logo. Roughly in that order for a first iteration. Agree?
[20:41:28] <indiebio> where is everyone?
[20:41:36] <madduck> i don't know what orga 'kits' are
[20:42:00] <madduck> but yes, those things sound like the most sensible next todos
[20:42:04] <madduck> and preliminary budget
[20:42:30] <indiebio> what we just spoke about... organisational kits, to make things work better
[20:42:46] <madduck> documentation…
[20:42:51] <indiebio> ah yes, prelim budget. I'm just working on a ball park R2million from analysing previous DebConfs
[20:42:56] <indiebio> fine.
[20:42:59] <madduck> yeah, that'll be great, but tbh, I wouldn't even know where to start.
[20:43:18] <madduck> indiebio: it would be good to get started on rough budgeting early on and flesh it out
[20:43:26] <indiebio> I'll get onto this in a bit. just feeling a bit overwhlelmed. no real reason, but hey :)
[20:43:31] <madduck> it's always dangerous to assume just a total and then work on that basis for too long
[20:43:40] <indiebio> re budget - can wendar help there?
[20:43:49] <indiebio> I'm OK with bookkeeping, but not with actual finances.
[20:43:51] <madduck> indiebio: you guys are not even one week old as the dc16 team and you are more active than any team before
[20:43:55] <madduck> don't burn out ;)
[20:44:01] <indiebio> I was about to say :)
[20:44:36] <nkukard> indiebio, I did put down my name for Treasurer at least as advisory or backup, but after talking to madduck I'm willing to see where I can lend a hand
[20:44:39] <indiebio> OK, so to recap, I will make a start with the 'orga docs' to structure my mind, it's been a while since I did events. And if someone else can do the prelim budget please?
[20:45:13] <indiebio> nkukard, epic. All the numbers should be on git, wendar did a great job on it, so should be easy...
[20:45:17] <tumbleweed> I think the website is probably a higher priority than the budget right now
[20:45:23] <madduck> indiebio: I'll be available to scrutinise those docs, great effort!
[20:45:25] <tumbleweed> but yes, we have a start on a budget already
[20:45:34] <indiebio> I don't think the same people are doing website and budget, so it shouldn't matter, no?
[20:45:38] <madduck> that's all that's needed tumbleweed
[20:45:48] <tumbleweed> indiebio: yeah, probably
[20:45:51] <madduck> just keep talking about it. budgets live. ;)
[20:45:53] <nkukard> indiebio, got a link to it?
[20:45:56] <tumbleweed> superfly seemed interested in helping with the website
[20:46:05] <indiebio> Can we have a volunteer for website? I don't mind helping with content, but that code. sheesh
[20:46:09] <tumbleweed> and Hodgestar mentioned someone at work he could maybe twist an arm of
[20:46:10] <superfly> hi? yes
[20:46:25] <tumbleweed> I could also prod our designers
[20:46:26] <indiebio> erm. madduck what's the link to git again please? nkukard needs it
[20:46:43] <indiebio> There's just soooo many links and stuff with you guys!!
[20:46:52] <superfly> I'm not exactly a designer, but I can make things pretty
[20:46:51] <tumbleweed>
[20:46:59] <indiebio> whoohoo!
[20:47:17] <indiebio> can we minute this, tumbleweed? I am not on speaking terms with tibit after that teabag stuff
[20:47:30] <tumbleweed> indiebio: I erased all of that from his mind
[20:47:55] <indiebio> In my opinion, a character flaw. sheesh. :P
[20:48:12] <tumbleweed> tibid: agreed indiebio to start documenting debconf
[20:48:12] <tibid> Agreed: indiebio to start documenting debconf
[20:48:26] <nkukard> indiebio, I may very well be going blind, but which file has the current budget work in it? are you referring to the caterers?
[20:48:35] <tumbleweed> I don't know if I have anyone else I can name in minutes
[20:48:42] <tumbleweed> nkukard: the cost comparison spreadsheet
[20:49:01] <nkukard> eek
[20:49:31] <tumbleweed> madduck: any interest in reprising your fantastically complex dc15 budget spreadsheet? :)
[20:49:44] <madduck> i hope you won't need it
[20:50:10] <madduck> indiebio: a orga kit will put all the links in one place and then hopefully show what can be consolidated ;)
[20:50:19] <madduck> tumbleweed: it's complex because the venue contract is complex
[20:50:30] <tumbleweed> right
[20:50:43] <madduck> but yes, I think you might be able to twist my arm into hand-holding someone to make a spreadsheet ;)
[20:50:52] <indiebio> a cheat sheet. That's exactly what I need!
[20:51:16] <nkukard> indiebio, tumbleweed I think my user must be added to pull via ssh?
[20:51:25] <tumbleweed> nkukard: yes
[20:51:26] <nkukard> nkukard-guest :)
[20:51:38] <madduck> nkukard: adding…
[20:51:43] <nkukard> ta
[20:52:25] <highvoltage> o/
[20:52:28] <madduck> tumbleweed: can you action tibid that I am responsible for fleshing out that third column in the LocalTeamRoles?
[20:52:45] <madduck> we should keep the fourth column anyway, since it helps the dc16 people find a bearing
[20:52:49] <indiebio> tibit: agreed website design headed by superfly
[20:53:05] <tumbleweed> tibid: agreed maddock to expand 3rd column in localteamroles
[20:53:05] <tibid> Agreed: maddock to expand 3rd column in localteamroles
[20:53:05] <indiebio> tibid: agreed website design headed by superfly
[20:53:05] <tibid> indiebio: I'm not going to listen to you
[20:53:10] <indiebio> hahaha
[20:53:12] <indiebio> fine.
[20:53:33] <indiebio> tumbleweed, please tell tibid: agreed website design headed by superfly
[20:53:54] <tumbleweed> get a real IRC client, and we can sort that out
[20:54:03] <madduck> you call me maddock again and I'll… whatever.
[20:54:17] <superfly> wahaha
[20:54:23] <indiebio> this weekend. and you're gonna talk me through it step by step. As in, switch phone on. next...
[20:54:25] <tumbleweed> superfly: you up for that?
[20:54:47] <superfly> tumbleweed: yeah, I'm good with that
[20:55:02] <indiebio> I thought maddock was cute. crazy, but cute. if I'm thinking of the right guy...
[20:55:15] <tumbleweed> tibid: agreed superfly to start on a website design
[20:55:15] <tibid> Agreed: superfly to start on a website design
[20:55:25] <superfly> indiebio: I think you're thinking of Murdock, from the A-Team, right?
[20:55:36] <highvoltage> sorry I was out running and ended up getting dinner and it went way over time
[20:55:38] <indiebio> oh yeah.
[20:55:41] <tumbleweed> ok, that's been a long meeting
[20:55:46] <tumbleweed> indiebio: bed time?
[20:55:53] <indiebio> way over bedtime :)
[20:56:07] <highvoltage> heh, so I'm just in time to have caught up
[20:56:09] <superfly> *sigh* forgot it was meeting night again
[20:56:18] <indiebio> ok, so we got someone on budget, someone on website, someone to get the documentation into shape, I think we're ready to roll.
[20:56:56] <tumbleweed> who is on budget? nkukard?
[20:57:22] <indiebio> yes, with some handholding from murdock. hehe
[20:57:34] <nkukard> agreed, I can help here
[20:57:42] <tumbleweed> tibid: agreed, nkukard to start a preliminary budget, with help from madduck
[20:57:42] <tibid> tumbleweed: Excuse me?
[20:57:45] <madduck> indiebio: we'll make that altercation #3? ;)
[20:57:46] <nkukard> (not something I like doing at all, but I can do it)
[20:57:50] <tumbleweed> tibid: agreed nkukard to start a preliminary budget, with help from madduck
[20:57:50] <tibid> Agreed: nkukard to start a preliminary budget, with help from madduck
[20:58:01] <indiebio> and let's leave logo for a bit, but if I feel inspired I'll get into it.
[20:58:09] <madduck> superfly: no worries, we just assigned all tasks to you in your absence.
[20:58:15] <indiebio> lol, whatever murdock, whatcha gonna do>?
[20:58:22] <superfly> madduck: all good! :-P
[20:58:26] <nkukard> madduck, its ok ... I come with free booze :)
[20:58:33] <madduck> presumably, i'll be in cape town for dc16, and then!
[20:58:33] <highvoltage> I don't know, I think logo is quite important indiebio
[20:58:43] <tumbleweed> the logo is important for web design
[20:58:49] <madduck> traditionally, we ran logo contests for the logo
[20:58:52] <indiebio> I agree, but not urgent. If we rush it we get a kak one.
[20:58:58] <madduck> and yes, it's important for web design and brochure
[20:59:00] <highvoltage> and we'll also need it for our branding / talk / presentation at DC16
[20:59:01] <superfly> hrm, that's an idea, madduck
[20:59:02] <madduck> corporate identity!!
[20:59:03] <indiebio> agree on the logo contest, but that takes time.
[20:59:15] <highvoltage> more the reason to not delay it
[20:59:16] <cate> tumbleweed: not only for website, but for fundraising brochure
[20:59:18] <madduck> indiebio: 3–4 weeks. you are *early*. take it.
[20:59:18] <indiebio> I just can't do it all at once, you know?
[20:59:21] <madduck> the time i mean
[20:59:32] * indiebio wipes sweat off brow
[20:59:33] <superfly> I've been thinking about one, but haven't played around with anything yet
[20:59:40] <highvoltage> indiebio: yes totally. sorry not meaning to be pushy
[20:59:49] <indiebio> no worries, I totally agree.
[20:59:57] <tumbleweed> yeah, is there any reason not to kick off a logo contest now?
[21:00:09] <indiebio> Nope, just need a good brief.
[21:00:18] <superfly> I think get the announcement out first, and then kick off the contest?
[21:00:40] <cate> tumbleweed: contests have some problems: it requires much works, and no assurance that own logo will b choosed
[21:00:45] <indiebio> exactly. Let's aim for first week of March? Or maybe second week.
[21:01:21] <cate> so if you have good designers, and you know how they design things, go direct with them. Else contest, and push people to compete
[21:01:27] <indiebio> Agree, cate, but there are ways to incentivise, I just need to think about it... free stuff helps. maybe getting a sponsor for that would help
[21:01:28] <highvoltage> cate: I think we'd have to have a backup plan just in case the community doesn't come up with something that's of sufficient quality
[21:01:47] <madduck> contest can also invite people to submit ideas
[21:01:55] <madduck> and ideas can be realised later by artists
[21:02:04] <madduck> that is pretty much what happened this time
[21:02:05] <madduck> dc15
[21:02:17] <indiebio> I am planning to ask my fav designer anyways, maybe she'll do it for free? Else a logo hackathon organised around a social?
[21:02:46] <tumbleweed> yeah, I'm going to privately ask some designer-y people I know
[21:02:56] <superfly> it's probably a good idea to look at past debconf logos to see where they went too
[21:03:06] <indiebio> anyways, it's late. Let's put logo as priority on next week's agenda.
[21:03:36] <madduck> you want to keep weekly meetings?
[21:03:59] <highvoltage> probably a good idea for the next 1-2 months, at least
[21:04:12] <superfly> mmm, helps keep the ball rolling
[21:04:20] <superfly> and the more we do now, the less we have to do later
[21:04:22] <nkukard> weekly meetings a good idea
[21:04:24] <highvoltage> (says me who's been horrible at attending them recently)
[21:04:25] <nkukard> reminders would be AWESOME :D
[21:04:36] <highvoltage> at least just to get things bootstrapped nicely
[21:04:40] <superfly> I'm putting it in my calendar so I don't forget
[21:04:49] <indiebio> yes please.
[21:04:55] <nkukard> weekly wednesday?
[21:04:57] <highvoltage> and we'll probably need some good planning and co-ordination for our presentation at DC15
[21:05:14] <tumbleweed> I'm going to be on a plane during next week's meeting
[21:05:19] <tumbleweed> (without wifi)
[21:05:19] <nkukard> (btw, some of the best corporate leadership I've ever seen is with weekly meetings where each dept is asked for a small 1 line status update)
[21:05:20] <highvoltage> (so regular meetings before then might be good too, but we can sort that out later)
[21:05:28] <indiebio> everyone still cool with the current day and time?
[21:05:34] <madduck> highvoltage: we did our pres at dc14 in a few minutes there.
[21:05:35] <indiebio> nkukard: great idea!
[21:05:49] <nkukard> indiebio, it does work, in every instance I've ever encountered :)
[21:05:55] <madduck> but you are free to do what you want, of course.
[21:05:59] <highvoltage> madduck: if we don't prepare, we'll take a few hours :)
[21:06:01] <indiebio> gives focus, if nothing else
[21:06:07] <nkukard> indiebio, and brings people together
[21:06:22] <indiebio> yeah, we've got a good track record generally staying wihtin the hour, let's not start faffing!!
[21:06:29] <tumbleweed> agreed
[21:06:31] <madduck> okay, there is also a shared debconf calendar you guys could create/manage
[21:06:31] <tumbleweed> tibid: end meeting